Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What's Your Superpower?

I happen to have two. The first is that I bask in the happiness of others. When the people closest to me are happy, most of the time, that's all I need to be happy as well. I'm that crazy person who likes to give gifts instead of getting them (this sometimes includes buying gifts for myself, lol). Sometimes the gifts are tangible or I give the gift of time. In a lot of instances, friends and family just want you to hear them out and be supportive. Which brings me to my next superpower -- listening. If more people took the time to listen, I think we could communicate with one another much better. We would also realize that a lot of the time, people aren't necessarily asking for our opinion; what they really need, is someone to talk to.

As a new mom, I pray that I can continue to harness this power, but I know it won't be easy.

Did tell you that Zollie has a new favorite word: Mommy. Saying that I am overjoyed would be an understatement. I love it! It fills my heart with delight that he wants to call me every minute of the day. However, lately I've become so accustomed to him saying it, that I started to block him out.

The other day we were in the car and he called me repeatedly. I answered a few times, but then I got distracted and tuned him out. When it got quiet, I laughed and said to Aaron, "see, he just loves saying the word, he doesn't even want anything." Then Aaron reminded me that he stopped calling me because I stopped responding. OUCH, just that quickly, I had forgotten to listen to what my baby was trying to tell me. 

"Yes, Zollie?"

He immediately erupted, spilling out all the baby babble that he had been holding in. Eeek...I guess my superpower could use a little fine-tuning :).

Good thing practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment